In partnership with State Champs! Sports Network, students will have the opportunity to practice being a broadcaster during the Student Talent Showcase between 12:00 - 3:00 pm.
Test Your Interview Skills With Broadcast Celebrities
Future broadcasters have the opportunity to interview current broadcast celebrities at the Great Lakes Broadcast and Sports Media Academy.
Attendees will have two minutes to ask questions to Michigan broadcasters during recorded segments. After the event, students will be emailed the video file of the interview for their resumes.
Students should start the interview by identifying themselves and what school they attend. For example…
“Hi, my name is STUDENT NAME from NAME OF SCHOOL and I’m here with NAME OF CELEBRITY…”
and then are encouraged to ask some of the following questions:
- Why were you interested in a career in broadcasting?
- What do you think makes a great broadcaster?
- What advice do you have for a young person interested in broadcast media?
- Why do you think today’s Academy is so helpful for young people?
The interview should conclude by thanking the celebrity for their time.
Tips for interviewing:
- Take time to reach bio of the person you are interviewing.
- Begin with a warm greeting and introduction of yourself and the person you are interviewing.
- Maintain eye contact throughout the interview.
- Speak clearly and make sure the mic is near your mouth when you are speaking and near the interview subject’s mouth when they are speaking for audio clarity.
- Be precise and avoid YES or NO questions
- Practice active listening – absorb what the subject is talking about and respond to their answer and talking points.