By: Gary Berkowitz
Berkowitz Broadcast Consulting
With summer here, there is a good chance you will be doing many outdoor promotions where you will get to be with current and potential listeners. Here are a few ideas you can easily implement to turn these into effective & very low cost cume and P1 builders.
1. Make sure the radio station looks good. Let’s not forget that our listeners think we are show-biz. Nothing is more disappointing than showing up to see your favorite radio station and all you see is a bunch of sloppy looking people, sitting around a card table eating. If you are going out, invest in a great looking backdrop or station vehicle. Make sure the van is clean inside & out. All who represent the station should be wearing some type of clean and crisp station clothing. T-shirts are okay but shirts with collars make a much better impression. No sloppy, ripped jeans. Most important, no food. Ask the crew to eat before they get to work.
2. Have a dedicated person (intern?) signing people up for loyal listener clubs. Have forms to fill out on clipboards with plenty of pens (station pens they can keep!) Gather e-mail addresses. To insure they try out the station offer this incentive. After they register, give them a flyer that says they will have the chance to win a great prize that same day. For example:
“Thanks for joining the Magic 99.7 Loyal Listener Club. Listen to Magic 99.7 today at 3:20. If you hear your name announced, call us back at 222-1051 within 20 minutes and win $100 (any good prize will also do). We will only be calling names from those we have gathered here this afternoon, so your chances of winning are great. Please listen.
This silent contest will get them to try you that day, while the excitement of meeting is still top of mind.
3. Have a station rep in front of the booth with a device (Iphone is perfect) to record listener testimonials/comments. Invite them to talk about the station so they can be on the air. What a perfect way to gather testimonials. Simply ask them “What Do You Like Most About Magic 106.7? Then allow them to talk. Whoever is recording should be instructed not to interrupt them with questions and do everything possible to make them comfortable.
4. Have lots of bling! People love freebees. Especially station stuff such as mugs, key rings etc.
5. Talent who are there should have name badges on so people will know who they are. Only send air talents who are comfortable at a remote. If jocks fear meeting people, their presence could hurt the station image.
Gary Berkowitz is President of Detroit based Berkowitz Broadcast Consulting, specializing in ratings improvement for AC radio stations. www.garyberk.com
Editor’s Note: The views and opinions of this article do not necessarily reflect those of the MAB. Contact the MAB for information on the MAB’s official editorial policy.